Jump to content

Oil rally primed?


Recommended Posts

That Oil rally that I have been tracking gave us a teasing signal last week but no clear breakout and now, with USDCAD rallying post NFP it looks like a retrace down is on the cards but only to set up a stronger rally.  If I am right about USD (see other posts) and USDCAD rally runs out of steam soon then that could all signal Oil will retrace briefly to set up that rally.


2 alternatives:

  1. Rally to daily down trend line then turn back down
  2. Doesn't retrace but just rallies up thru resistance

Link to comment

As they say "Missing fish is always a big one" :)


From July:


"I think its started for Crude at 49 when its broken down the trend line from the bottom. Also, when we consider current economic outlook, brexit etc. I think it will retrace till 44-40-36 before moving up again..."

Link to comment

As you say  the BIG fish got away.  Alas I was away when it all happened but there you are.  For me it is all about managing scenarios, their likelihoods of being right and risk management around placing a trade against any of the scenarios.  So I actively track multiple scenarios on any given market until I get to a decision point.  One such occurred on Oil over the past 3 days and my scenario 1 from my past post was the one that proved correct.  I was set up to enter either and got Short before and after the EIA crude stocks data release yesterday.  The turn happened at the Fib 38% off the 9 June high.  So far so good but where do we go from here?


Again I have 2 scenarios as follows:

  1. Lead is a return towards the lower daily tramline and Fib 50% ($40), which is then another pivotal point (drop thru or rally back up?)
  2. Because the move up to 19 Aug turn can be counted as either an A-B-C or a 1-5 a Wave B could have been established on 2 Aug meaning the current move is a 1-2 and will turn up again forming a higher low vs 2 Aug.  We are at the Fib 50% down as I write, which is also prior support zone.  Fib 62% also a strong possibility.


Link to comment

So the Fib 50% was the turning point on the hourly and now with a fresh higher high scenario 2 must surely be the lead set up right?  Of course there is now another scenario, which is that this move up is an A-B-C retrace, which would indicate a wave C ending point in or around 4700-50 area at a minimum.

Link to comment

So I looked again at that alternative scenario I mentioned yesterday and now I think it is the lead scenario just now.


There is just too much resistance above, which would take a lot of bullish sentiment to break through.  The move up looks like an A-B-C to me with yesterdays rally constituting the bulk of the wave C.  I expect a final push up into the 4750 resistance zone, where there is also a junction of 2 tramline lines offering resistance and the Fib 50% off the previous rally high (Pink A/4).  With Neg Mom Div building on all time frames I am reversing my stance to bearish once more and seeking shorts off a rebound from the Fib 50% area with a target on 4000 initially.


Any thoughts please?


Link to comment

Not too shore, if we could be completing the W4 down to the 61 fib level on oil, however has just rejected the 50% retracement, therefore wait for confirmation of termination of WC. However as you quite rightly pointed out, the tramline on daily has not been kissed yet, therefore probably hold fire for now, although we are getting some neg momentum. Best wait for more confirmation.

Oil - Brent Crude (DFB).png


Oil - Brent Crude (DFB).png


Link to comment

So looks like my first instinct that the bear move had come to an end in a Wave B was right.  The down trend cannot be in 1-5 now due to the overlap of wave 1 end.  Therefore an A-B-C ending up between $55-60 seems more likely.


Buy the dips I guess...


Link to comment

US CRUDE 1h.png

Hi Mercury, as you suggest, always best to review your analysis often, as I have found that we some times allow our eyes to see what we want, instead of what we should strictly see, hence why these strict rules in our strategy help us keep out of trouble. I don't know your opinion and I know I have created once again a double zigzag, but it does suggest that this is the case which would support then the analysis. Might also add that the RSI or in your case very similar the stochastic is only approaching oversold, which therefore suggests further that we can presume this a continuation of the previous daily bullish trend.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Posts

    • Sainsburys full year earnings and Unilever’s first quarter trading update both say the same thing, UK consumers are in for higher prices. The war in Ukraine, supply chain issues and the effects of ongoing Covid all to blame.      
    • US Dollar (DXY) Daily Price and Analysis US Q1 GDP may stall the greenback’s advance. A 20-year high nears for the US dollar. The multi-month US dollar rally continues with the greenback printing a fresh high today ahead of the first look at US Q1 GDP at 12.30 GMT. The US dollar basket (DXY) has been boosted by renewed weakness in the Euro and the Japanese Yen, as investors move from lower-yielding to higher-yielding currencies, while safe-haven flows continue to benefit the greenback. The US growth release later in the session is expected to show a sharp slowdown from the robust Q4 figure of 6.9%. The markets are currently pricing in growth of just 1% for the first three months of this year, with the slowdown mainly due to a reduction in inventory accrual over the quarter. This release is unlikely to move the greenback, unless there is a large miss or beat, as the Fed believe that 2022 US growth will be robust enough to let them tighten monetary policy sharply without damaging the economy. The latest US Core PCE data – the Fed’s preferred inflation reading – is released on Friday and this may have more effect on the US dollar than today’s GDP data. For all market moving economic data and events, see the DailyFX Calendar. The ongoing US dollar rally has been aided by weakness across a range of G7 currencies including the Euro, the Japanese Yen, and the British Pound. The Euro continues to battle with lowly growth expectations, exacerbated by energy concerns, the British Pound is mired by weak economic data, while the Japanese Yen is in freefall as the BoJ continues with its ultra-loose monetary policy.   The US dollar continues to press higher and looks set to break above 103.96, the March 2020 high. Above here the US dollar would be back at levels last seen nearly two decades ago. The March resistance will likely hold in the short-term, especially with month-end portfolio rebalancing at the end of the week, but US dollar strength is set to continue in the months ahead. USDOLLAR (DXY) WEEKLY PRICE CHART – APRIL 28, 2022 {{THE_FUNDAMENTALS_OF_BREAKOUT_TRADING}} What is your view on the US Dollar – bullish or bearish?   Apr 28, 2022 | DailyFX Nick Cawley, Strategist
    • While Tesla has nothing directly to do with Elon Musk buying Twitter - TSLA stock closed down 12% on news that Musk may have to sell stock and use other holdings to stand against the loan to finalise the purchase of the social media giant.        
  • Create New...