Jump to content

GBP not yet ready to drop


Recommended Posts

I must admit to sounding like a broken record to myself on this pair but I can't shake the feeling that a retrace rally is overdue.  There have been several chances for the market to do it but all have failed to produce one and I think we are coming up on the last chance saloon now.  My weekly chart shows 2 possible long term big picture supporting tramline, the first was broken at the beginning of the week and the second is currently being approached.  Initially I thought the post Brexit low was a wave 1 (and it still could be) but the following retrace was not that convincing and so there is a scenario that works such that the wave 1 of larger wave 3 (blue label) has yet to be posted.


2 scenarios:


  1. The market drops to the 2nd weekly tramline and rallies away back up in strength.  This would align to a fall in DX (see DX post) and a rally in stocks off the back of NFP perhaps?
  2. The market breaks through the 2nd weekly tramline and really there is nothing standing between here and parity, strap in and sell the rallies

On my hourly chart we appear to be in an ending diagonal with a final 1-5 wave down almost over.  A touch and rally off the weekly tramline at a out 12580ish would be a good Long signal once confirmed.


We should get an indicator at NFP time tomorrow I think but EURGBP is shaping up to drop (i.e. GBP strength, at least vs EUR) so I would expect a rally in GBP.  Famous last words...


Link to comment
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tempted to buy sterling but hesitant to touch it at the moment. Judging from options market activity it may go as low as 0.95 pence to a dollar next year(that's below parity). No position so far from me. But I'll wait patiently till it drops below parity. Prices always tend to overshoot.

Link to comment

I tend to agree , although I would expect a relief rally at some point reasonable soon I think it will be short lived and the prevailing trend is down until we get closer to parity with USD.  Still this is worth over 2000 points so a sell into relief rally strategy would seem the right bias but I would wait for a decent rally myself.  As we were speaking of COT data on the Gold thread it is interesting to note that after hitting a net bearish all time low of 93k net short in Aug, Sept showed a shift back away from such extremes until last week when the net number was 94k.  This week we again see a shift back away from such extremes to 89k net short after the flash crash so maybe we are due a rally soon.  Still I feel such a rally will only offer a new shorting opportunities rather than represent a major trend change.

Link to comment

Hi Mercury

I think with this strategy it is most likely much safer to wait for short-entries, instead of taking high risk trades. This really is a very high risk pair at the moment and 2 key influcing factors will be the politics side and the dollar side. If we see a retracement on the dollar index then a brief rally may be on the cards of which then keep a good eye on most previous support which was around the 128 level. COT data showed a small reduction, but nothing too significant.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Posts

    • Sainsburys full year earnings and Unilever’s first quarter trading update both say the same thing, UK consumers are in for higher prices. The war in Ukraine, supply chain issues and the effects of ongoing Covid all to blame.      
    • US Dollar (DXY) Daily Price and Analysis US Q1 GDP may stall the greenback’s advance. A 20-year high nears for the US dollar. The multi-month US dollar rally continues with the greenback printing a fresh high today ahead of the first look at US Q1 GDP at 12.30 GMT. The US dollar basket (DXY) has been boosted by renewed weakness in the Euro and the Japanese Yen, as investors move from lower-yielding to higher-yielding currencies, while safe-haven flows continue to benefit the greenback. The US growth release later in the session is expected to show a sharp slowdown from the robust Q4 figure of 6.9%. The markets are currently pricing in growth of just 1% for the first three months of this year, with the slowdown mainly due to a reduction in inventory accrual over the quarter. This release is unlikely to move the greenback, unless there is a large miss or beat, as the Fed believe that 2022 US growth will be robust enough to let them tighten monetary policy sharply without damaging the economy. The latest US Core PCE data – the Fed’s preferred inflation reading – is released on Friday and this may have more effect on the US dollar than today’s GDP data. For all market moving economic data and events, see the DailyFX Calendar. The ongoing US dollar rally has been aided by weakness across a range of G7 currencies including the Euro, the Japanese Yen, and the British Pound. The Euro continues to battle with lowly growth expectations, exacerbated by energy concerns, the British Pound is mired by weak economic data, while the Japanese Yen is in freefall as the BoJ continues with its ultra-loose monetary policy.   The US dollar continues to press higher and looks set to break above 103.96, the March 2020 high. Above here the US dollar would be back at levels last seen nearly two decades ago. The March resistance will likely hold in the short-term, especially with month-end portfolio rebalancing at the end of the week, but US dollar strength is set to continue in the months ahead. USDOLLAR (DXY) WEEKLY PRICE CHART – APRIL 28, 2022 {{THE_FUNDAMENTALS_OF_BREAKOUT_TRADING}} What is your view on the US Dollar – bullish or bearish?   Apr 28, 2022 | DailyFX Nick Cawley, Strategist
    • While Tesla has nothing directly to do with Elon Musk buying Twitter - TSLA stock closed down 12% on news that Musk may have to sell stock and use other holdings to stand against the loan to finalise the purchase of the social media giant.        
  • Create New...